Identifying Food Groups *
CONCEPT: PKU Diet
Review the PKU food groups and play Food Group Bingo.
After completing this activity, children will be able to:
- name the PKU food groups
- list examples of foods within each food group
Lead a discussion about the food groups for the PKU diet.
- Ask the children to name the PKU food groups. Write them on the board as they name them.
- formula "milk" group
- fruit group
- vegetable group
- low protein breads/cereals/grains group
- miscellaneous "extra foods" group (treats, free foods)
- Ask them to list foods that go under each group heading.
Play Food Group Bingo:
Give each participant a bingo card and markers to cover the squares. The instructor calls out one food item at a time, until someone gets five in a row (a bingo!)
Distribute the worksheet . Allow the children time to complete it on their own. Discuss the answers together.
- Chalk or dry erase markers (to write on the board)
- Food Group Bingo cards (there are three different bingo cards, cut sheets in half after making copies)
- Instructor's Key
- Bingo markers (or stamps or stickers)
*This activity is adapted from NET Nutrition Education, Choose Well, Be Well: A Curriculum Guide for the Primary Grades, California State Department of Education, 1982.