My PKU Story
CONCEPT: What is PKU?
Children read a story and discuss the basic concepts of PKU.
After completing this activity, children will be able to:
- state that they were born with PKU
- state that a person with PKU stays healthy by drinking their formula and eating foods low in protein and phenylalanine
Distribute the books:
Give each child a My PKU Story book
Read the story together.
Ask the children to take turns reading out loud. Take time to pause and let everyone write their names in the blanks.
Discuss the story with the children, with questions such as:
- How did your mom and dad find out that you had PKU?
- What kinds of foods are good for people with PKU to eat?
- Why do you drink your "special milk"?
- How long will you be drinking your "special milk"?
Distribute the worksheet. Give the children time to answer the questions on their own. Discuss each question together.
If time remains, the children can color their books.
- My PKU Story book (cut each page in half to make a small story book with one picture per page)