I study the composition and evolution of the Earth and early solar system by using stable isotope systematics measured by multi-collector inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (MC-ICPMS). Examples of current projects include:
- Formation and differentiation of the Moon, Mars and other extraterrestrial bodies by studying isotopic compositions of lunar samples, Martian meteorites, chondrites and achondrites.
- Composition, differentiation and evolution of the bulk Earth/ major reservoirs through studies of isotopic compositions of peridotites, komatiites, basalts, arc lavas, granites and seawater.
- Global elemental cycling among hydrosphere, crust and mantle through isotopic studies of river water, sedimentary rocks, weathering profiles, seafloor alteration and metamorphic rocks.
- Geothermometry and geospeedometry through studies of equilibrium and kinetic isotope fractionation in igneous & metamorphic minerals, theoretical predications and lab experiments.
- Paleoceanography and paleoclimate through isotopic and elemental studies of coral samples, speleothem, loess and lake sediment.
- Studies of isotope fractionation during biogenic processes through laboratory experiments and by using natural samples