The Alliance for Reducing Cancer, Northwest (ARC NW) is a member center in the Cancer Prevention and Control Research Network (CPCRN) – a national collaborative effort funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the National Cancer Institute (NCI). The CPCRN is a thematic network within the CDC’s Prevention Research Center Program cooperative agreement (#U48-DP-005013). As a whole, the ultimate goal of the CPCRN is to reduce cancer incidence and mortality through community-based research that will accelerate the implementation and adoption of evidence-based cancer prevention and control in communities. Our collaborative purpose is to strengthen our understanding of the translation of effective interventions into practice through research, training, and technical assistance using established organizational infrastructure, strong community relationships, and cross-center projects. ARC NW includes core and affiliate partners from research, healthcare, and community organizations.
ARC NW’s members and affiliates come from many partner organizations including:
- American Cancer Society
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
- Group Health Research Institute
- Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research Northwest
- Public Health – Seattle & King County
- Sea Mar Community Health Centers
- University of Washington Department of Family Medicine
- University of Washington Health Promotion Research Center
- Veterans Administration Puget Sound Health Care System
- Washington Association of Community and Migrant Health Centers
- Washington State Department of Health
We emphasize effectiveness, dissemination, and implementation research in the areas of cancer screening, physical activity and other lifestyle behaviors, and vaccine-preventable malignancies. ARC NW also emphasizes collaborations with Asian American and Hispanic communities.
The ARC NW is one of 8 national centers funded by the CDC and NCI as part of a national collaborative effort called the Cancer Prevention and Control Research Network. The current network member centers are:
* UNC-Chapel Hill is home both to a CPCRN network site and the network’s coordinating center.