Recent Faculty Publications
- Deprecated function: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; views_display has a deprecated constructor in require_once() (line 3157 of /nfs/bronfs/uwfs/hw00/d62/eacnews/includes/bootstrap.inc).
- Deprecated function: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; views_many_to_one_helper has a deprecated constructor in require_once() (line 113 of /nfs/bronfs/uwfs/hw00/d62/eacnews/sites/all/modules/ctools/ctools.module).
Arai, Andrea and Anagnost, Ann
Global Futures in East Asia: Youth, Nation, and the New Economy in Uncertain Times. Stanford: Stanford University, 2012.
Hara-kiri of a Woman at Nagamachi. Translation of the early modern Japanese puppet play Nagamachi onna-harakiri by Chikamatsu Monzaemon. Published online by the Center for East Asian Studies, University of Chicago, as a winner of William F. Sibley Memorial Translation Prize, 2011.
“Vertical Urbanism, Horizontal Urbanity: Notes from East Asian Cities”. In Bharn, Vinayak (ed.), The Emergent Asian City: Concomitant Urbanities and Urbanisms. London and New York, Routlage, 2012: “Making Public, Beyond Public Space”. In Shiffman, Ron, Rick Bell, Lance J. Brown, and Lynne Elizabeth (eds.), Beyond Zuccotti Park: Freedom of Assembly and the Occupation of Public Space. Berkeley, CA: New Village Press. 2012.: (with Ron Shiffman)”A Call for Actions”. In Shiffman, Ron, Rick Bell, Lance J. Brown, and Lynne Elizabeth (eds.), Beyond Zuccotti Park: Freedom of Assembly and the Occupation of Public Space. Berkeley, CA: New Village Press. 2012.: (With Pam Emerson)” 17th and South Jackson: Relocating Casa Latina and Navigating Cultural Cross-roads in Seattle”. In Vasquez, Leo, and Michael Rios, eds. Diálogos: Placemaking in Latino Communities. London and New York: Routledge.2012.
“Tokyo 1960: Days of Rage and Grief. Hamaya Hiroshi’s Photos of the Anti-Security-Treaty Protests”. On the Unit for Visualizing Cultures website at MIT, edited by John Dower. 2012.
“Changes in Social Values and Lifestyles”. In Roger Detels, Sheena Sullivan, and Chorh Chuan Tan (eds.), Public Health in East Asia (Berkeley: University of California Press). 2012.
“GLOBAL ENDS—towards the beginning”. Tokyo: Toto Publishing. 2012.: “Rereading Urban Space in Japan at the Crossroads of World Design”. In Kenzō Tange Architecture for the World. Lars Müller. 2012.: “Balancing the Cramped with the Communal: Recent Japanese Housing,” In Harvard Design Magazine 35 (2012). “Studio Mumbai and the Possibilities In-Between (スタジオ・ムンバイと越境する可能性)” In Gendai no me (Newsletter of the National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo), Aug.-Sep. 2012, 2-5: “Dialectics of Word and Image through Time and Space”. A+U 500, 2012: “Towards a Vigorous Future: Possibilities for Post 3.11”. In Japan Architect 84, 2012: "Coming of Age in Japan's Lost Decades a Season of Stalwart Seedlings." In Architectural Review. 2011: “The Forces in Architecture”. In Toto Tsushin. 2011.
Sorenson, Clark (with Kim Hyung-A)
“Reassessing the Park Chung Hee Era, 1961-1979: Development, Political Thought, Democracy & Cultural Influence”. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 2011.: (with Hong Y. Lee, and Yong-ch’ui Ha) “Colonial Rule and Social Change in Korea, 1910-1945”. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 2012. Print.
“A Study of the Usage Restriction for Simultaneity Expressions in Japanese”. In Japanese Language and Literature, 46:1. 2012.: (With Shoko et al) “Kore de Mi ni Tsuku Bunpoo-ryoku: Kiso, Ooyoo kara Hatten made [Grammar Power: Exercises for Mastery]”. Tokyo: Kuroshio-shuppan. In press, to be published in October 2012.: (With Kondo-Brown, Saito-Abbott, Satsutani, Wehmeyer) ”New Perspectives on Japanese Language Learning and Linguistics: The Classroom and Beyond (selected papers from the 2011 ATJ Annual Conference)”. In press. National Foreign Language Resource Center, University of Hawaii.: (With Oka, Kondo, et al) “Chuukyuu-nihongo o Oshieru Kyoooshi no Tebiki [Teaching Intermediate Japanese: Teacher’s Guide]. Tokyo: Kuroshio- shuppan. 2011.
“China's 'Attitude' Toward Human Rights: Reading Hungdah Chiu in the Era of the Iraq War”, In the Maryland Journal of International Law 263-303. 2012.
- Asian Law Center Celebrates Fifty Years of Global Leadership in Legal Education and Research
- Interview with UW President Michael Young
- North Korea in Transition
- China’s 18th Chinese Communist Party Congress and the Challenges of the 21st Century
- US-China Sustainable Development Four-Day Conference, October 2012
- Spaces of Possibility: Korea and Japan, In, Between and Beyond the Nation
- Recent FLAS Recipients
- Program Updates
- Recent Faculty Publications
- Retirements, New Faculty and Staff
- Study Abroad