What is PKU? Coloring Book
CONCEPT: What is PKU?
Children read and color the What is PKU? Coloring Book. The book explains PKU through the concept of "yes" and "no" foods. "Yes" foods help your body run well, while "no" foods do not help your body run well.
After completing this activity, children will be able to:
- have an explanation of PKU for others (i.e., I can't eat certain foods because they don't make my body run well.)
- identify "yes" and "no" foods
- Give each child a coloring book.
- Read the book to the children, taking time to look at the pictures and talk about what they are.
- Ask questions such as: What kinds of foods make your body run well? What will happen if you eat high protein or "no" foods? What are your favorite "yes" foods?
- Give the children crayons to color their books.
- What is PKU? Coloring Book version 1 (prepared by San Diego Regional Center for the Developmentally Disabled; Children’s Hospital and Regional Medical Center; 8001 Frost St., San Diego, CA 92123)
- What is PKU? Coloring Book version 2 (developed by Idaho PKU Program, 1993)