Lou The Lizard
CONCEPT: What is the PKU Diet?
Read a story about a lizard who is not fed the right foods. He becomes weak and skinny and unhappy. Soon he finds a new place to live and is well taken care of. He feels much better eating the right foods. Discuss healthy foods for the PKU diet.
After completing this activity, children will be able to:
- identify at least one reason why they need food
- identify "yes" foods for the PKU diet
Read the story Lou the Lizard.
Discuss the story with the children, with questions such as:
- What happened to Lou when he was not fed the right foods?
- What will happen to us if we don't eat the right foods?
- What foods do we need to eat to stay healthy?
- What does your special milk (formula) provide?
- Distribute the worksheet and help the children complete it. Discuss the types of foods that keep them healthy.
Read the story at home and discuss the questions.