Skip to main content
Disability Resources for Students

UW On-Campus Housing

On-campus housing accommodations are determined by DRS in collaboration with the University’s Office of Housing and Food Services (HFS) in alignment with HFS policy:

Accommodations are made based on impacts within the on-campus living environments students seek to reside in. As a program, HFS has specific housing application deadlines throughout the year and thus accommodation request deadlines align with these to best provide access in a timely manner. Due to the nature of housing assignments, late accommodation requests will be processed as spaces become available and can result in waiting until another assignment period within the academic year.

Student Responsibilities

  • Review information on the DRS Housing Accommodation website to understand the housing accommodation deadlines.
    • Requests submitted after these dates will be processed on a space-available basis and will likely be on a waitlist for an assignment or relocation.
  • Apply for UW housing.
    • Select “disability accommodation needed” on housing profile
  • Register with DRS.
    • Complete myDRS new student application & DRS Housing & Dietary Accommodation Request
    • Complete any additional necessary items related to service animals, emotional assistance animals, medical dietary needs, or other specific accommodation needs prior to move-in
  • Incomplete applications cannot be processed until all are complete:
    • UW Housing Application
    • myDRS Application and submit documentation
    • DRS Disability Housing & Medical Dietary Request
  • Discuss any concerns regarding this accommodation with assigned DRS Coordinator.

DRS Responsibilities

  • DRS consults with HFS SSO office as needed based on requests
  • DRS communicates approved accommodations to HFS

HFS Responsibilities

  • Makes housing assignment based on units procedures including but not limited to:
    • Priority status of HFS housing
    • Stated preferences in profile
    • Approved housing accommodations
  • Notify student of housing assignments, per the HFS application guide, and necessary next steps based on access needs or requests (i.e. animal care expectations, evacuation information, etc.)

Steps to Receive Housing Accommodations

Review the UW Housing Accommodation Deadlines.  Requests submitted after these dates will be processed on a space-available basis and will likely be on a waitlist for an assignment or relocation.

  1. Apply for UW housing
    • Select “disability accommodation needed” on housing profile.
  2. Register with Disability Resources for Students (DRS).
  3. DRS reviews submitted information, and will contact you if more information is needed.
  4. DRS notifies you via email of approved housing accommodations and next steps.
  5. HFS makes housing assignment based on:
    • stated preferences in profile
    • approved housing accommodations
    • status of priority status of housing
      • Students will be notified by HFS of their housing assignments, per the HFS application guide.
      • Accommodations do not increase priority status for assignment (exception is family housing: see FAQ below).

The Housing Accommodation Request Form for the 2019-2020 academic year is now open!
Fill out the Disability Housing and Medical Dietary Request now

Examples of Possible Housing Accommodations:

  • Wheelchair accessible room with access to private bath
  • Room equipped with a visual fire alert
  • Single bedroom options that include spaces in apartments, suite and or clusters
  • Various bathroom access based on disability management needs
  • Furniture adjustments
  • Service and Emotional Support Animals

FAQ’s on Housing Accommodations

Does having a disability accommodation give me priority housing assignments?

No. Housing applications with disability accommodations requested and approved by the listed deadlines receive priority within each student’s priority assignments status. This means that approved accommodation placements will happen before others with same priority status, but it will not increase a priority status to a higher one for a student.

Can DRS waive termination or other HFS housing fees as disability accommodation?

No. Students should review their housing agreements before terminating their housing agreements.

Do I need to complete more than just the housing application to received housing disability accommodations?

Yes. The process for requesting disability accommodations is separate from the UW housing application process. Student need to first apply for UW housing, and then request housing accommodations. Please review the Steps to Receive Housing Accommodations, above.

Can I apply for priority in Family Housing?

Yes. The reason why family housing on campus is needed based on the disability and or health condition will need to be stated. Students with disabilities in family housing needs can request to be placed in 1st priority category. Review the Family Housing Priority System.

Can dependents and/or family of UW students living in family housing request housing accommodations?

Yes.  The UW student works with DRS to make the housing request for their family members living with them. They will need to complete the same process. Please review the Steps to Receive Housing Accommodations, above.

Can I submit a request after a deadline?

Yes. Accommodation requests will still be processed after the deadline; however, there is a high likelihood that you will be on a waitlist, especially if assignments have already been made for the quarter. Review the UW Housing Accommodations Deadlines.

Is it possible to bring special furniture or my own mattress if medically necessary?

Yes. With an approved accommodation, this can be arranged with advance notice. Please review the Steps to Receive Housing Accommodations above.

Does having ADHD or a learning disability qualify for a single room to have a specific study environment?

No. Single rooms are not assigned based on diagnosis of ADHD or learning disability and a need for a quiet study space. HFS Residence staff can help facilitate our agreements to allow both roommates to successfully study in their room. In addition, study areas within residence halls, academic study areas, and the various campus libraries are alternative places where students can study.


More info on Medical Related Dietary Restrictions

More info on Service and Emotional Support Animals

(Updated 1/2020)