Disability Resources for Students
UW On-Campus Housing
Students interested in living in accessible spaces in UW Housing must complete both a myDRS Application and the online DRS Disability Housing & Medical Dietary Request. Requests need to be made in accordance with the Deadlines for Housing Accommodations. Accommodation requests submitted after a deadline will be processed on a space available basis and will include a wait list.
Accommodations in housing are approved on a case by case basis and are dependent on the nature of the disability and/or health condition as well as the impact in the on campus living environment. DRS works in partnership with UW Housing & Food Services to provide accommodations that meet individual student needs. Below are the steps to receive accommodations, information on the Medical Related Dietary Request process, disability housing FAQ’s and resources.
Types of accommodation(s) that may be provided include, but are not limited to:
- Wheelchair accessible room with private bath
- Room equipped with a visual fire alert
- Medical related dietary consult
- Single room options
- Special bathroom needs
- Furniture adjustments
Steps to Receive Housing Accommodations
*Be aware of the UW Housing Accommodation Deadlines for accommodation requests submitted after these dates will be processed on a space available basis and may include a wait list.
- Apply for UW housing
- Select “disability accommodation needed” on housing profile–Note: Deadlines for Housing Accommodations
- Register with Disability Resources for Students (DRS)
- DRS reviews application and request and will contact you if more information is needed
- DRS notifies you via email of approved housing accommodations
- DRS partners with UW Housing & Food Services (HFS) for room assignment based on space availability, housing contract type (9 vs 12 month, family housing) and approved accommodations.
- Students will be notified by HFS of their housing assignments per UW Housing Important Dates. (Late July or early August for Autumn)
Medical Related Dietary Restriction Process
The process for Medical Related Dietary Requests (MRDR) accommodations are done in partnership with UW Housing & Food Services (HFS), once a student has completed the steps outlined above:
- Once an accommodation is approved, DRS informs HFS of the need for a MRDR Consult with UW Dining Staff
- HFS connects with the student to scheduled a consult. A consult is a meeting with UW Food Services to discuss needs, learn how to access and food and eat safely on campus.
- For students starting in Autumn quarter these MRDR consult are typically scheduled starting in June and through August
- MRDR Consults are a meeting with UW Food Services staff located on the part of campus a student will be living, a tour of the dining facility, information about special ordering options and the UW District Market
- UW Food Services will notify DRS if any additional modifications to the HFS accommodation plan are needed after the MRDR Consult
Disability Housing FAQs
- DRS does not waive termination or other HFS housing fees as an accommodation. Students seeking Housing Waivers need to complete the HFS outline process: https://www.hfs.washington.edu/housing/waiver/
- DRS can not change a students assignment priority status. Students with questions should contact HFS Student Services Operations office for more information.
- The process for requesting disability accommodations is separate from the UW housing application process. Student need to first apply for UW housing and then request housing accommodations.
- Disability accommodation needs do not give students priority in housing assignments. Housing applications with disability accommodations requested by the listed deadlines receive priority in assignments. Applications submitted, with accommodations requested, after the deadline(s) will be assigned on a space available bases and may include a wait list.
- Family Housing uses a priority system, students with disability housing needs can request to be placed in 1st priority category.
- Dependents and/or family of UW students living in family housing can request housing accommodations. The UW student works with DRS to make the housing request for the duration they are living in residence.
- Therapy animals can be requested through DRS. Documentation from a healthcare providers needs to show how the animal is apart of the prescribed treatment plan. A most recent vet reports/vaccination and review of the animal care expectations requirements are required before an animal can live in residence.
- If you want to find a roommate with similar needs (i.e. peanut allergies) you are encouraged to use one of 3 options: the UW Roommate Finder Facebook App (2015 admitted students only), the HFS Roommate Finder Forum or the Queer-Positive Roommate Forum . If you find a roommate after submitting your application, you may edit your preferences until June 30.
- The process for requesting housing accommodations is separate from requesting academic and classroom accommodations, but they can be done at the same time
Housing and Food Services Resources