Leadership Without Borders


Do I have to disclose my status? And if I disclose, what do I need to know?

Statement from the Career & Internship Center: Knowing when, how, or if to disclose your DACA or undocumented status can be challenging and varies with every opportunity and organization. As a general recommendation, DACA recipients do not need to disclose their DACA status to current or potential employers. It is the employer’s responsibility to verify your work authorization status when appropriate, and it is your responsibility that your work permit remains valid. Also, as a student, you are protected under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) which means faculty and staff cannot share any information about you with people outside of the UW. We encourage you to talk with trusted advisers, mentors, or a career coach to discuss the nuances of this conversation and to develop an appropriate plan.

Am I eligible for aid?

Undocumented students and/or students on DACA are unfortunately ineligible for federal aid. However, Washington’s Real Hope Act has expanded eligibility for the Washington State Need Grant to undocumented students/students on DACA who meet the program’s eligibility requirements and specific residency criteria. Please visit this page to learn more! 

Am I eligible for scholarships?

Yes! Undocumented students and students on DACA are eligible for some scholarships. Visit this page to learn more about the scholarships that are available.

Can I work or do internships?

Yes, but limitations do apply!  Visit the UW Career & Internship Center has a page to help guide undocumented and DACA students on their internship and job search. If you need additional assistance, please feel free to make an appointment with a Career Coach at the Career & Internship Center or please reach out to LWB for any additional opportunities. 

Who are my allies on campus?

We know how important it is for undocumented and DACA students to know there are faculty and staff who are knowledgeable as well as ready and willing to support them. At the University of Washington, undocumented and DACA students can expect to find allies across our campus who can support and help them access a variety of resources and information. Please visit this page to find an Ally Directory List

Can I study abroad?

UW Study Abroad supports DACA students with participating in study abroad programs through Advance Parole. DACA students can work with the UW Study Abroad Office and UW Student Legal Services (SLS) for assistance with this process. SLS offers free 40-minute consultations, and from there, students can also hire them for ongoing representation at a low hourly rate. Visit this page to learn more about SLS and get an appointment set up. The contact information for the UW Study Abroad Office can be found here

What is an ITIN number and how can I apply for one?

An ITIN, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, is a tax processing number only available for certain people who cannot get a Social Security Number (SSN). To learn more about an ITIN and how to apply for one, you can visit this page. For more individualized support, we encourage students to consult with UW Student Legal Services (SLS), which is located in Husky Union Building (HUB) 306. SLS offers free 40-minute consultations, and from there, students can also hire them for ongoing representation at a low hourly rate. Visit this page to learn more about SLS and set up an appointment! 

Am I eligible for healthcare?

  • Accessing healthcare while being undocumented or on DACA is a bit complicated. However, this page offers some information about the limited options available. 
  • Some recent updates have also been made! Beginning November 2023, undocumented immigrants will be eligible to purchase health insurance on Washington Healthplanfinder, and coverage for those health insurance plans will begin in January 2024. More information about this can be found on this page.  
  • Beginning on July 21, 2024, Washington state will also begin offering a program similar to Medicaid/Apple Health for people of a certain income level, regardless of immigration status. More information about this can be found on this page.  

Where can I get help filling out taxes?

For information about places where you can get support with taxes, please contact Leadership Without Borders!

What immigration resources are available to me?

What resources does Leadership Without Borders offer?

What are other helpful resources on campus that I can access?

This is a helpful page detailing all of the on-campus resources. If students ever run into any issues accessing these resources, please feel free to contact Leadership Without Borders!