This is a group parent training course specifically designed for parents of young children (under 6) with ASD, see the Brochure.
- Tuesdays, 5 – 7:30 PM (8 Weekly group sessions via Zoom with parents)
- TBD (4 individual speech therapy session with your child, in person or via Zoom)
What is the Cost?
- $345 fee for the group sessions. Need-based scholarships are available to cover up to 80% of the cost.
- Individual speech sessions are billed to your insurance. Cost will vary depending on your benefits, deductible, etc.
- A workbook (details below) is needed for the program. A limited number of loaner copies are available.
What is the format of this program?
- Group Sessions – 8 weeks of 2.5-hour group sessions on Friday mornings with you and other parents via Zoom. Caregivers participate in group sessions without their children present. In the group sessions, caregivers are actively engaged in the learning process and course content is individualized to each family.
- Individual Sessions – 3 consultation sessions with you and your child via Zoom. Parents apply strategies they have learned during the group sessions and have been practicing at home and the speech therapist provides online coaching as needed in order to facilitate the parent’s successful application of program strategies. Kelleen will assess your child’s skills and observe you and your child interacting. The child’s communication goals are reviewed and revised at each consultation and, in collaboration with the parents.
Who is this group for?
The program is for children 5 and under with ASD and social communication difficulties. It supports parents to use strategies to grow and promote language by embedding language in the child’s natural environment and their daily routines.
The More Than Words Program was designed specifically for parents of children ages 5 and under on the autism spectrum and with other social communication difficulties. Addressing the unique needs of these children, the program provides parents with the tools, strategies and support they need to help their children reach their full communication potential.
More Than Words does this by empowering you to help your child reach the following three goals:
- Improved social communication and back-and-forth interactions
- Improved play skills
- Improved imitation skills
Here are some of the valuable things you’ll learn when you attend the More Than Words Program:
- What motivates your child to communicate
- How to use your knowledge about your child to set appropriate and realistic goals
- How to make interactions with your child last longer
- Tips for using pictures and print to help your child’s understanding
- Strategies for how to talk so that your child understands you
- Strategies for developing your child’s play skills
- Ways to help your child make friends
What is the process to get started?
- Contact the patient navigator at firstname.lastname@example.org
- A free brief 30-minute Zoom screening – Speech Therapist Kelleen Dunley will tell you about the program, and you can tell Kelleen about your child.
- Orientation – if it is a good fit, you will complete a free online Orientation to the program
- Paperwork – if you would like to continue with the program, you’ll fill out forms from the UW Autism Center and from the Hanen More Than Words program.
- Individual Session – your child will complete their first individual session with the speech therapist
- Registration – if you would like to continue with the program, you’ll need to register online and pay the course fee.
- Group Sessions begin – group sessions and individual sessions continue
What is the workbook I need to acquire?