ANMC/Anchorage!

I spent May 2017 in Anchorage and had a great experience at ANMC. I ended up only having 3 weeks there and did 1 week in the ICU, 1 week in a mix of clinics (Rheum, Endo, Pall Care) and 1 week of ID consults.¬†In general if there for 4 weeks I’d recommend 2 weeks in the ICU to get the hang of it and a range of experiences and I think the staff there prefer it for some continuity. Schedule in the ICU was M-F 7am to 7pm for sign out (able to leave early some days). I worked with Dr. Worth who is great and trained at UW! I also really enjoyed the clinic experience – great way to learn more about the native health system and how subspecialty care is delivered to such a broad geographic area. Great teaching too and pretty relaxed schedule. Lastly ID consults was great with really interesting cases and fun attendings who love to teach. I was initially given a pretty short list of options of what to do but when I got there but I found that people were happy to have me in most clinics and if you ask they will make most things work.

As far as Anchorage itself it’s a very livable small city and easy to adapt to quickly. People at the hospital were all really welcoming and eager to provide¬†recommendations for what to do and see. May was a fun time of year there as spring was really just starting but days are long. Be sure to check if hikes in the area are still icy/snowy! For housing AirBnB worked well to find a spot – midtown isn’t the most attractive part of town but halfway between downtown and ANMC. Start housing search early if you want to do a monthlong rental especiall in summer/spring. Enterprise renal car through UW also very easy to do.

I loved visits to homer (halibut fishing!), seward (kenai fjords tour/kayaking), hikes around anchorage (power line trail, eagle river nature park, flat top).

Portage Glacier Hike, at end of Whittier Tunnel
View of Anchorage from Earthquake Park
Otter enjoying Seward!